Friday, May 19, 2006

Emily

I got up early this morning to make some work for a little exhibition - due in yesterday, and ended up cleaning out a box in my studio. I'm doing bouts of cleaning so I can move the piles of junk to the new studio down the road (yay!) Now I have a nice big shed away from my house - I can go there and not be walking plaster into the living room and getting wax on the kitchen floor - and - not be interrupted by guilt associated with what a desperate mess the rest of the house is and I really should be cleaning the bathroom.

Anyway in that first stage of cleaning where I really just redistribute the junk further across the floor I discovered a little Emily Dickinson book and was reminded of some of my favourite bits of her writing:

Presentiment is that long shadow on the lawn
Indicative that suns go down;
The notice to the startled grass
That darkness is about to pass.


Love that bit about the startled grass - and another one on dawn:

When night is almost done,
And sunrise grows so near
That we can touch the spaces,
It's time to smooth the hair

And get the dimples ready,
And wonder we would care
For that old faded midnight
That frightened but an hour


Emily you rock...

No comments: