Saturday, May 13, 2006

spelling meditation



This pic is a still from my first ever video piece. I've got loads of documentation of performances on video, but this is the first actual video work I've made. It's interesting because I started learning Auslan (Australian sign language) a couple of years ago, and it's taken this long for it to start to appear in my work. I don't really know what I think of it yet, I literally made it last weekend and stuck it in an exhibition on Tuesday. I just videoed my own hands spelling the word meditation over and over again. When you see the video you see the spelling from the point of view of the speller. Normally if you are watching someone sign you see the other side of their hands - so it's like the viewer of the video could be spelling the words to themself, carrying on an internal dialogue - provided they know how to finger spell...

No comments: